Wednesday, September 16, 2015

English lesson

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20
This is the verse we will be looking at on Sunday. It is a verse that every person who calls themselves a Christian should memorize and meditate on.

In the above NIV translation, there are 7 personal pronouns (I, me) used. Paul is saying that this relationship with Christ is one that can only happen when you accept Jesus as your personal Savior. Paul cannot do it for you. Your mother cannot do it for you. Your spouse cannot make it happen, etc.

In the same way, I cannot make my son or anyone else enter into a relationship with Christ. I can bring God to them, but it is God who brings people to Himself.

The fact that Paul uses the Present Perfect Tense "I have been crucified," is crucial, because it means that the action has been completed. It stands accomplished! This verse comes after Paul is telling how he had to correct Peter in front of everyone, because Peter was falling back into legalism and causing others to stumble. By his actions, Peter was showing others that Christ's work was not complete. Paul could not sit by and let this happen.

It is so tempting for me to fall back into the selfish pride of legalism. To try and control myself and/or others. I am thankful for this admonishment by Paul. By God's grace, I will try to live by faith and be obedient all that He shows me to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment