Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Dual citizenship

These quotes are from U.S. Government websites:
"If you decide to apply to become a U.S. citizen, you will be showing your commitment to the United States and your loyalty to its Constitution. In return, you are rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of U.S. citizenship. "
"The concept of dual nationality (emphasis added) means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time." 
I have dual nationality (or citizenship). I was born in the United States, so I am a citizen by birth. I also decided to accept Jesus Christ as my LORD and Savior, which made me a citizen of heaven as well. In doing so, I was rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of heaven!

However, in addition to being rewarded with those rights and privileges, I also have the responsibility to show my commitment to God and my loyalty to His Word. How? By obeying it. This morning I read in Philippians 1:27 (NLT):
"Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Jesus Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News."
There is one way to live as citizens of heaven and that is to live a life of holiness (2 Corinthians 7:1). That's what we'll be talking about this Sunday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment