Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Are we ready?

A leaf fell right in front of me on my morning walk. A leaf! It's only the first week in August! Immediately my mind jumped to fall. Then to winter. "I'm not ready for winter," I thought.

A bit dramatic, I know, but then I began thinking about Revelation 3:20, the verse that John was going to be preaching on this Sunday.
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."
Jesus is saying this to the Church of Laodicea. Interesting. I've always thought it was a picture of Jesus knocking on the door of an unbeliever's heart, but looking at it again, I am beginning to think (in light of the fact that He is speaking to the church) that perhaps Jesus is speaking to those of us already in the church (which, of course, can include unbelievers). This verse in sandwiched in-between a warning to repent and a promise of eternal life to those who overcome. Either way, the invitation is not to be taken lightly. Just as fall and winter will be here before we know it, so will the second coming of Christ, ready or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment