Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Benefits of discipline

We're back on track with a sermon series we started late last year called Nurture. It is a study for new believers, but it is also a study for disciple-makers (those who are training new believers). This week we are focusing on 2 Timothy 3:16-17:
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
Would I say that I am thoroughly equipped for every good work? Well, I can honestly say that I have diligently read, studied and tried to be obedient to the Word of God for over 30 years now. In the last 5 years I have made it my goal to read the entire Bible each year. Why? Because I believe the Word is God (John 1:1). And all scripture is God-breathed, not just a few verses from the New Testament. If I read it, I get to know Him. If I know Him, I know His will for my life. I know right from wrong. I know the way to heaven and eternal life! But, here is the catch - during my training I quite often need rebuking and correction. While that is not fun, I put myself in the hands of the greatest, most merciful, fair and loving Teacher of all time. His goal is that I will pass with flying colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment