Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Why are you so angry?

It was God who said "Why are you so angry?" to Cain in Chapter 4, verse 6 of Genesis. This verse came to my mind as I thought about the recent Grand Jury decision not to indict Officer Wilson in the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. It's interesting that Michael's parents, their community and the media have all apparently forgotten that Michael had just stolen some cigars. Rather than feel remorse for that theft and the terror the shopkeeper may have felt, they instead chose to be angry at Officer Wilson.

So is this a new problem? Not according to the book of Genesis. Instead of taking responsibility for not offering God the sacrifice he should have, Cain got angry. Not only did he get angry, he went out, attacked his brother and killed him (verse 8).

I recall a particular occasion when my son misbehaved. He may have been 8 or 9 years old. When I scolded him, he got very angry. I responded by saying "How dare YOU get angry when YOU are the one that disobeyed me!" He thought about it for a while and said "I'm sorry mom, I think I am angry with myself." I will never forget that. It taught me a great lesson. None of like to admit we are wrong, but when we do, we find mercy and grace in our time of need.
"For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment