Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Keep us from temptation

I'm taking a break from the principles that shape the Christian family because another subject has come up over and over again this week. Temptation.
Dictionary definition of temptation: something that causes a strong urge or desire to have or do something and especially something that is bad, wrong or unwise. 
I have spoken with people who are trying to quit smoking and give up video games. And I find myself struggling with food - again. So what are we to do? Can any of us overcome temptation just by self-discipline? I don't think so. An error most of us make is that we don't regularly pray "so that we won't fall into temptation" in the first place. (Matt 26:41) Once we have fallen though, it is imperative that we find out why we did so. We can rule out that it's God's fault. (James 1:13). James makes it clear that it is by our "own evil desire that we are dragged away and enticed." (James 1:14) So, what is the evil desire inside me? Control? And what is enticing me? James goes on in verses 16-17a to say "Don't be deceived, my dear brothers (so he is talking to us Christians). Every good and perfect gift is from above." Could it be that when I indulge or overindulge in something that I know I shouldn't, that I am giving myself a gift that I am afraid God won't give me? The things we try to reward ourselves with here on earth will not satisfy like the gifts from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment