Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My life for yours.

This week I was reminded of one of the principles that shape a Christian home and family. I read this principle "My life for yours" in Elisabeth Elliot's book The Shaping of a Christian Family.

The simplest form of this principle may be referred to as courtesy. An act of courtesy says in effect, "You matter more than I do."  I don't hear the word courtesy much anymore. Is it being taught in homes? Is it being modeled by parents? It begins by doing small things like a husband opening a car door for his wife or one sibling letting the other have the last of the ice cream. But as one matures, the principle may become more complex and costlier.

Jesus says "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives his life for the sheep." John 10:11
"The price of the salvation of a home and family is sacrifice." Elisabeth Elliot 
Do I want to see the salvation of my home? As a Christ follower, am I willing to pay that price?
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy" Ephesians 5:25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment